Saturday, August 30, 2008

Vietnamese National Day



9th September 2008 was Vietnamese National Day, we had a gathering in Shi Lei's room to get to know more about what National Day means to Vietnamese. Exchanges of national anthems was sang. Students told us that Vietnamese people are very patriotic and nationalistic, in particular towards Ho Chi Minh. Compared to Singapore, from my point of view, Vietnamese people are much more proud of their country, and are willing to show it, where else in Singapore, individualism in certain cases is of a higher regard than nationalism. And people such as bloggers Mr.Brown and comments on the newspaper would sometimes talk about differences with regards to government policies.

Everytime during this day, many people will go down to Ho Chi Minh square to observe the morning national day ceremonial march, following which, many people would start queing up for a glimpse of Ho Chi Minh on this day, which also happens to coincide with the death anniversary of Ho Chi Minh. We went down to see the ceremony that day, and was greeted by a huge crowd. At first we wanted to que up as well but the que was simply too long, however, our Vietnamese friend who came along with us still wanted to see the body of Ho Chi Minh, in my view, reflection of the deeply nationalistic Vietnamese people.

Standing at attention for the flag raising ceremony


National Day Rally, where many different companies were showcased to show their support for National Day


The extremely long que just to get around a 5 mins glimpse of Ho Chi Minh on this memorable day


Public performances on National Day


Daniel Foo

Vietnam will be celebrating its independence on the 2nd of September! So far, the streets have been decorated and there is a festive atmosphere. Everyone that I met is asking me if I know Independence Day is coming soon. How would I not know if all the streets are covered with flags and more pictures of Uncle Ho? : )

Therefore, I suggested to the club that we should have a club meeting on Independence Day! And the members were all very excited. I was surprised when they really came for the club meeting bringing their National Flag along. I told them that in Singapore, less and less people are hanging the national flag up during National Day. Daniel was so funny, he told the class that when the economy is back, no one puts up the national flag, which I think is true too. Daniel commented that the number of flags being hang during national day is a reflection on the popularity of the PAP government. The students were quite perplexed about it. They replied that everyone in Vietnam put up the National Flag. There is no law that said you have to, but everyone will just do it. Looking at how all the streets in Hanoi are draped in flags, they don’t really have to explain further.

I think that students in Vietnam and Vietnamese on the hold are openly more nationalistic than Singaporeans. Not just during Independence Day. For ex, if I tell them I study Southeast Asian Studies and that I like to concentrate on Vietnam specifically, they will most probably come up to me and thank me profusely for expressing my interests in their country. I think they really appreciate people who are interested in their culture and their people.

But the most interesting discovery is that while Mr Lee Kuan Yew have done a lot for our country’s development, we ( I mean Singaporean youths nowadays) are not really that appreciative of his efforts. Or maybe we do not really care or express it? This is totally unlike the case, might be generalizing, but all the students I met in the English club basically remembered Uncle Ho Chi Minh and remember him fondly as the Uncle. I tried to hint that maybe some Vietnamese might not feel the same towards Uncle Ho, but it seems like they could not understand why any Vietnamese will not be thankful towards Uncle Ho and see him as the leader of the people. Don’t believe me? They told me that they regularly wake up early at around 5 plus to go to Ba Dinh Independence Square, just in front of Ho’s mausoleum. I asked them “To Do What? “Hmm, to take part in flag raising national ceremony and to sing the national anthem. I could only remember all those morning assembly I used to skip in Junior College… lol

“Do you know on Independence Day, we also celebrate our loss for Uncle Ho? He died on Independence day, so this day has double meaning to all Vietnamese!”

“ I bet it is going to rain again! It always rain on Independence Day course the sky is crying for Uncle Ho!” and ya it did drizzle. But most importantly, I got their point. : )

-- shi lei

No comments: